Nuclear deal stalled: Iran responds to ‘European skepticism’

Paris, London and Berlin said on Saturday they had “serious doubts” about Iran’s intentions to revive the agreement, in comments rejected by Tehran and described by Moscow as “coming at a completely inappropriate time.” .

Crisis Wallpapers

• Iran sent its latest response earlier this month to the text proposed by the European Union to revive the agreement, whereby Tehran curtailed its nuclear program in exchange for the easing of economic sanctions imposed by the United States, the European Union and the United Nations.

• Diplomats said Iran’s response to the European Union coordinator was a “step back” as it sought to link the agreement’s revival with the conclusion of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s investigation into trace amounts of uranium 3 locations have been found.

• The Board of Directors of the International Atomic Energy Agency will meet on Monday, three months after it passed a resolution calling on Iran to provide satisfactory answers to the Agency.

European disappointment

Ahead of the meeting, the three countries known as the European Trio expressed disappointment, saying that “this latest demand casts serious doubt on Iran’s intentions and commitment to a successful outcome of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action,” referring to the full name of the nuclear agreement.

“Iran’s position violates its legally binding commitments and threatens the prospects of reviving the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action,” Paris, London and Berlin added in a joint statement.

Tehran reacts and Moscow comments

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said the statement was “not constructive” and added: “We advise the three European countries to take a more active role in providing solutions to the few remaining differences,” Iranian state media reported.

Kanaani added, without going into details: “If this approach continues, the (European Trio) countries must also bear responsibility for its consequences.”

The European statement also prompted Russian envoy to the talks, Mikhail Ulyanov, to respond via Twitter, describing it as “really at a completely inappropriate time”.

But he said what appeared to be a stumbling block to the talks at the moment “doesn’t pose a serious obstacle”.

But as a sign of the hardening of positions, French negotiator Philippe Herrera wrote on Twitter, addressing his Russian counterpart, “There have been no active negotiations since the last response from Iran that you were aware of.”

Ulyanov responded by saying that at least they agreed that there were no active negotiations.

In 2018, then-US President Donald Trump withdrew from the agreement and re-imposed sanctions, prompting Iran to violate restrictions on its nuclear program under the deal, renewing US and Western fears it would may try to build a nuclear weapon, an ambition Tehran denies.

60 percent

On Wednesday, the International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran’s stockpile of up to 60 percent enriched uranium, close to the amount needed for nuclear weapons, has increased to levels that, if further enriched, would be sufficient to make an atomic bomb.

She stated that Tehran has not yet provided satisfactory answers about the source of the uranium particles.

“Given that Iran has not entered into the proposed agreement, we will discuss with international partners how best to deal with Iran’s ongoing nuclear escalation and non-cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency regarding the Security Agreement of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty,” said the minister. European Union said.

Leave a Comment