The file sizes for modern Call of Duty games are reaching astronomical heights and Modern Warfare 2 is certainly no stranger to this fact.
Now that Early Access to the campaign mode is live, players who pre-ordered the shooter title will be able to complete various story missions it offers. But even if only single-player mode is available, Modern Warfare 2 still takes up a significant amount of storage space.
On the major platforms of PC, Xbox, and PlayStation, file sizes are quite large, but there are ways you can free up some space by reducing the overall size of the game.
If you’re playing on a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5, today’s guide will go over some steps you can follow to reduce the overall file size that Modern Warfare 2 needs on your console.
Reduce Modern Warfare 2’s file size on PS4 and PS5
To reduce the overall file size on both the PS4 and PS5, get rid of all the extra content packs that you don’t need while playing the shooter. To reduce the size of the game in your system, you need to do the following:
1) For the PS4
- PS4 users should select the Modern Warfare 2 icon in their library on the home screen and then press the Options button. Out of all the choices, you have to click on “delete”, which will remove the game from your system.
- After the game is uninstalled, you need to go to the PS4 library and then go to the Purchased section. There you need to select the shooter again and then hit download which will open up a full list of downloadable content related to the game.
- From this list, you should only select the content you want and leave out the extra features that are not necessary to enjoy the campaign mode. Modern Warfare 2 comes with a lot of extra content, and by selectively choosing only the base game, you can save space on your console.
- Once you’ve made your choices, all you need to do is install them on your PS4.
2) For the PS5
- The process is considerably easier on the PlayStation 5, as in this system all you have to do is go to the game’s options from the home screen.
- Instead of deleting, this time you have to choose the Manage Game Content, which will open another list of options where you can customize what content you want on your system.
- In the Manage Game Content menu, you need to go to the icon to the right of the content you want to install or remove. There will be a lot of additional content options here and the icon will allow you to remove anything you don’t need to enjoy the game.
If you accidentally remove Modern Warfare 2 content from the PS5, or want to try something out at a later date, you can simply use the download option on the Manage Game Content page to add it back to your system.