The spokesperson added in a statement to reporters that as of Oct. 18, officials had identified 206 cases of the disease, with 99 deaths recorded.
This came after health officials in The Gambia said about 70 children died of acute kidney failure after drinking a drink of paracetamol sold locally that was used to treat fever.
High levels of diethylene glycol and ethylene glycol were found in four cough syrup products made by Medine Pharmaceuticals of New Delhi and sold in The Gambia.
Indonesian Food and Drug Agency officials said the products were not available locally, but they have since banned the use of the ingredients in all children’s medicines.
Health authorities said last week that a team of experts set up to investigate the increasing incidence of acute renal failure in children includes representatives from the Ministry of Health, Indonesian Pediatrics and the World Health Organization.
The Indonesian Ministry of Health said it is in talks with experts from the World Health Organization who are investigating the cases discovered in The Gambia.
In an Oct. 18 letter seen by Reuters, the Department of Health asked hospitals to collect all drugs families gave their children for toxicology testing.