Hong Kong authorities block 13 journalists’ access to anniversary event transfer

Hong Kong authorities this week banned more than 13 journalists from covering events marking the 25th anniversary of Hong Kong’s return to China.

The journalists represent at least seven media outlets, including international news agencies Reuters and Agence France-Presse and several others from Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Journalists Association said in a statement.

“At this important moment, the authorities have made ad hoc and close arrangements for interviews and have put forward vague grounds for refusal, seriously undermining press freedom in Hong Kong,” the statement said.

It said at least 10 journalists have been excluded.

The Hong Kong Economic Journal said at least three other journalists from local news outlets were informed on Wednesday that their applications to cover the July 1 events had been rejected.

Hong Kong police have confirmed that Chinese President Xi Jinping will visit the city to mark the anniversary of the return of the former British colony under Chinese rule on July 1, 1997.

A resident walks past the Chinese and Hong Kong flags hanging from balconies
Local and international media have been affected.AP: Kin Cheung/File

Mr Xi’s visit will be his first trip outside mainland China since the coronavirus outbreak about two and a half years ago.

Police in Hong Kong, a special semi-autonomous region of China, have announced a series of security measures, including road closures and a no-fly zone.

Leave a Comment