Epic Games is a launcher with a wide variety of games including Fortnite, Rocket League and Fall Guys. The launcher is known for offering free games weekly for a limited time. Plus, once you’ve claimed a game, you can download it whenever you want, and it’s yours as long as you have your Epic Games account. However, sometimes you may encounter some errors such as: ‘Socket Open Error’ that won’t let you play or launch any game epic games†
Most errors can be easily solved if you know how your computer system works because the solution requires you to open certain files and settings in order to delete them. In this manual we explain step by step how to fix the socket error from Epic Games, so you’ll be up and playing in no time.
What is Socket Open Error?
Before we get to the solution, let’s first understand what it is and how the error appears so that you can avoid it in the future. When two programs are running on a network, a socket provides two-way communication between the two programs. When you make a connection request on the machine’s port and server, the FTP server responds to the socket.
If the connection request is accepted by the server, you can communicate with the server if your connection is accepted successfully. However, if there is no response from your end or the server, a socket open error may occur.
7 Ways To Fix Socket Open Error On Epic Games
Now that you know the nature of the socket open error. You can see that the socket open error On epic games does not come from a single source of error. Instead, there could be another reason that caused this error to occur in the first place. That’s why there are several methods mentioned in the guide, so if one doesn’t work, try the other.
Solution 1: Epic Games Server Status
This is the simplest solution; however, it can only occur when Epic Games is offline due to maintenance that occurs at regular intervals. If all four options show as operational, it means that the Epic Games server status is online and running. You can also check Epic Store’s Twitter account to see if an update or maintenance break is scheduled.
Solution 2: Run as administrator
Go to your desktop and right click on the Epic Games icon which will show you the ‘run as administrator’ option. Click on that option and see if the Socket Open Error is gone. This fix skips the User Access Control (UAC) so you can bypass the restrictions it sets. It also removes the socket open error on Epic Games†
Solution 3: Changing DNS Addresses
The ISPs provide all their customers with a standard DNS address that most players use while gaming. DNS also has servers; just like a game server goes down, a DNS server can go down with errors as a result. You can change your DNS to a more commercial and available DNS, such as Open DNS and Google. Log in to Epic Games after you’ve done it.
Also Read: FIXED: Fall Guys Invite Not Working – PS4, PS5 & PC
Change DNS Address
If you are not a computer geek, just follow these steps.
- Open Control Panel and click Network and Internet.
- Click Network and Sharing Center.
- When it opens, click Change adapter settings on the left.
- Simply choose the network you want to configure
- Select the Networks tab. Under “This connection uses the following items” you will see Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Click on the properties.
- Click advance and then click the DNS tab. If you see an IP address there, write it down so you can keep it as a backup. Then take it out the window.
- Click OK.
- Then click on “Use the following DNS server addresses”. Like step 6, if you find an IP address listed in the Preferred DNS Server or Alternate DNS Server, write it down as a backup.
- Replace the IP addresses with these Google DNS servers:
- IPv4: 126.96.36.199 and/or 188.8.131.52.
- IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
- IPv6 only: You can use Google Public DNS64 instead of the IPv6 addresses in the previous point.
Solution 4: Alternative Connection
If you have another Internet device at home, use that to see if the problem is with your Internet server or the Epic Games server. If you have no other internet connection, you can also use your mobile phone’s hotspot. If the launcher works fine on an alternate connection, the problem is with your Internet server. Contact your ISP to resolve the issue.
While you’re at it, consider reading: How To Fix Cities Skylines Not Enough Workers
Solution 5: Restart Router
It may sound simple, but sometimes the servers work just fine and you need to troubleshoot your network. Restarting your router will quickly fix your connection, as it will restart the route to your Internet Service Provider (ISP), which will do the same to your connection to the Epic Games server.
Fix 6: Allow Epic Games through Firewall
Sometimes it’s neither Epic Games’ server nor your internet service provider that causes the socket open error† Rather, it is your Windows firewall. If so, you’ll need to add Epic Games to the exceptions list for it to pass through the firewall.
If you don’t know how to let Epic Games pass through the firewall, follow these simple steps:
- Open Windows Security through a simple search or through the Windows box.
- Click Firewall & Network Security.
- Click on the option Allow an app through the firewall.
- Click on change settings at the top right.
- The applications and features you see are the allowed apps and features. Find UnrealEngineLauncherProxy in the list.
- If you can’t find UnrealEngineLauncherProxy in the list, click Allow another app.
- Clicking on it will open another window where you need to click Browse.
- Select Epic Games Launcher and then click on the add option.
- Once the Epic Games Launcher is added, click on the private and public options next to UnrealEngineLauncherProxy in the Allowed Applications window.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Fix 7: Create Xbox Account
If the error occurs when using Xbox, use this method to resolve the issue while logging into Epic Games. If you already have an account on Xbox, check the credentials again.
If you have a Microsoft account, open the Xbox website. Once you sign in, you will be prompted to create an Xbox profile. It also shows you the instructions to create a profile, just follow those steps.
Overall, it can be difficult to properly diagnose the cause of the Epic Games Socket Error on epic games† However, we recommend that you try the quick fixes mentioned in the guide first, such as using run as administrator and alternative connection. If they don’t work, go for the bigger solutions like firewall and DNS server.
Epic Games is currently offering Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Iratus: Lord of the Dead and Geneforge 1: Mutagen until July 7, 2022. If you want to play Killing Floor 2 and Ancient Enemy, wait until July 7, 2022 as she will be available until July 14, 2022.
That’s all on our side, this guide will help your socket open error up in no time epic games so you can continue playing.
Next: Overwatch 2 Beta Login Error [FIXED]